The advantages of forceps compared to vacuum extraction are:
- Faster application
- Faster extraction
- No need for synchronized traction
- More vigorous traction may be applied
- For good and bad!
- Determine rotational position of head
- Palpate fontanelles
- Feel for an ear
- If exact position of the heads rotation is undetermined do not apply forceps
- Apply the left branch (mothers left) first
- Then the right branch over the left
- Apply the right branch first
- Then the left branch under the right.